Friday, August 12, 2016

In Which I am Accidentally a Weird Quilting Fangirl

Elizabeth Hartman is probably my favorite quilting celeb, if there is such a thing.  I made her Fancy Forest quilt for my nephew.


I've been working on her Bunny quilt for a while now and have posted a few pictures on Facebook (the rest were lost in the great phone --> pool disaster of 2016.) In the meantime, I felt that we needed a little table runner for a coffee table we recently bought and I decided to make a variation on her Bunny pattern.

Just look how freaking cute those little faces are. How could I resist?


I think I'm finally getting the hang of all the different diagonal seams her patterns usually contain.


I decided to piece these end to end and give the table runner some interesting edge shapes to compliment all of the diagonals.

IMG_20160719_094657444


Here it is all bound up and in its new home!


Turns out, the fabric I used to back the quilt is also an Elizabeth Hartman design.

IMG_20160728_142512364

Seriously, I had no idea how many fabrics of hers I actually have and love.  Here's the quilt in it's new home.

IMG_20160728_140610703

Now for the embarrassing fangirl part.

A couple of weeks ago I attended my first meeting of the Portland chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild. The reason I actually went was that I was glancing through their previous meeting show and tell and noticed some Elizabeth Hartman quilts. After some stalking research I realized that she actually lives in Portland and is a member of the Guild.

When I decided to attend the meeting with my EH quilt in hand, I figured it would be a few quilters sharing what they've done and that she might or might not be there. Turns out, there were 200 people there that night and she sat right in the front row while I tried to not behave like a smitten fangirl. I am not sure how well I masked my starstruck demeanor, but I am certain that I will always think of that night when I look at this quilt.


*runs away and hides*

Here's a link to where my quilt appears on the PMQG blog (eep!) along with so many other amazing quilts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment