Friday, February 26, 2016

Bright Young Women

My husband knows all of the words to every song in Disney's Little Mermaid.  I have personally verified this fact.


Apparently, Eddy's little sister, Ceci, was quite the fan and also quite the repeat watcher as a kid.  Ceci's all grown up now and when her birthday rolled around this year, I knew just what to do (even though I was a few months late in doing it.) You see, while out thrifting one day I found a vintage Little Mermaid bed sheet (alright, two of them) and I knew they must be backing for a quilt (alright, two of them.)  Thankfully, I already stumbled upon this amazing tutorial for a modern waves quilt, so a mere 2 months after Ceci's birthday I started cutting!

IMG_20160107_170156

I pieced about a million curves (USING THIS FANCY NEW TUTORIAL I JUST MADE!)

IMG_20160202_141210

I did the basting.

IMG_20160202_194239

And then I started my special quilt lettering method.

IMG_20160203_115045

Now, let's pause here and talk about The Little Mermaid.  Those of you who are *not* TLM lovers can just move right along to the pretty pictures. Those of you who love TLM, have you watched it recently?!



One thing I do when I make quilts inspired by Disney movies (see Cats and Rabbits and this Christmas quilt for my mom) is watch them.  But I mean watch them so much.

Like, the.
entire.
time.
I'm.
working.
on.
the.
quilt.  (I too am a repeat watcher.)  

TLM is so sexist, folks!


I mean, not even a tiny bit inoffensive.  Don't get me wrong.  When Sebastian is all, "What do they got? A lot of sand?" I'm all, "We got a hot crustacean band!"  I mean, it's so good!  It smacks of childhood nostalgia and there are so many memorable lines.


So what's a girl to do for her feminist, TLM-loving SIL?  Well, I picked the two quotes that were most positive toward women (especially when taken out of context) and I quilted those babies right into the front of the quilts.

Ceci's quilt reads:

Bright young women
Sick of Swimming
Ready to Stand

And mine reads (Did I mention? Two sheets. Two quilts. One for me!):

Things are Working Out
According to my ultimate design

This is an actual thing Eddy and I say sing to each other when, well, things are working out according to our ultimate design.  It's such an applicable song lyric for your everyday life.  I promise.

I challenge you not to sing those quotes in your head!  Not even possible.

So back to the quilting.  I bound the quilt using more little mermaid sheets.

IMG_20160204_154010

Which resulted in some pretty nifty little snapshots, my favorite of which is King Triton staring down King Triton.

IMG_20160209_125023

And this little corner scene.

IMG_20160209_141659

Here are the finished quilts!

IMG_20160209_125124

IMG_20160212_092304

IMG_20160212_092604

IMG_20160212_092657

Things are working out according to my ultimate design. Soon I'll have that little mermaid and the ocean will be mine! [evil cackle]

0 comments:

Post a Comment